Arizona Cattle Industry Research & Education Foundation (ACIF)
Founded in 1982, ACIF, has supported Arizona's cattle industry. Devoted to two goals: sustaining the people who are engaged in the industry and care about the ranching way of life; and sustaining the land that is the source of productivity for the livestock industry.
- Promote awareness and knowledge in the community about the benefits of the Arizona cattle industry.
- Educate, promote and encourage research and development programs related to the Arizona beef industry.
- Conduct fund raising activities to fund the scientific, charitable, and educational needs of the Arizona cattle industry.
- Provide funds for education programs and scholarships for persons pursuing studies in subjects directly and indirectly related to the cattle industry.
- Engage in activities and programs which encourage and promote the general interests of the cattle industry.
- Provide a home to the cattle industry organizations
- The Foundation has provided funding to the University of Arizona, Livestock Judging each year they have had a team since 2003. A total of 11 awards totaling $31,800.
- The Forest Guidebook: $10,000 grant approved in 2010.
- Resource Management Education: $25,000 grant approved in 2008.
- Forest Plan Research: $20,000 approved, half in 2006, the other half in 2007.
- ACGA “Keeper of the Range” Commemorative Book: $101,000.
From donations and earnings, ACIF has: (since 1993)
- Invested over $848,000 in the building that houses Arizona Cattle Growers' Association (ACGA), Arizona Cattle Feeders' Association (ACFA), Arizona Beef Council (ABC), and Arizona Wool Producers (AWP).
- Established scholarship endowments totaling over $290,000 which generate income to provide college scholarships.
- Awarded grants of $359,700 directly to ACGA for specific industry projects and programs.
- Awarded grants of $228,100 to other industry organizations for specific industry projects and programs.
- Awarded scholarships of $394,900 to college students with a background or interest in the Arizona cattle industry.
The Foundation’s Grant Program supports research and education that contribute to healthy and open landscapes. Our Grant Program has supported community outreach in the following ways:
- Public workshops
- County fair awards
- 4H and FFA livestock judging teams
- Book publication
- The Summer Ag Institute
Research we have supported includes:
- Jaguar and willow flycatcher studies
- Rangeland plant projects
Our grants have supported:
- Arizona Cattle Growers' Association
- Society for Range Management
- Future Farmers of America
- University of Arizona
- Arizona State Cowbelles
Board of Trustees
John Fowler, President
Chuck Backus, Vice-president
Sandy Eastlake, Secretary
Suzanne Menges, Treasurer
Expires 2014: Bill Brake, Phil Clifton, Sandy Eastlake, John Fowler, Dennis Moroney, Dorothy Webb
Expires 2015: Ron Allen, Tom Bell, Norm Hinz, Richie Kennedy, Paul Orme, Linda Vensel
Expires 2016: Chuck Backus, Steve Brophy, Tom Chilton, Suzanne Menges, Swayze McCraine, Jon Rowley
Past presidents of the:
Arizona Cattle Growers' Association: Andy Groseta
Arizona Cattle Feeders' Association: Larry McDonald
Arizona State Cowbelles: Suzanne Menges
Carl Stevenson, Trustee Emeritus
Jolene Miller, Trustee Emeritus
Louis Maxcy, Trustee Emeritus
Bill McGibbon, Trustee Emeritus
To date, ACIF has granted $394,900 in scholarships to 146 students in their pursuit of higher education. To apply for a scholarship, download the application, here.
Ways to Give
- Cash or cash equivalents
- Stocks/bonds/marketable securities
- Mutual funds/retirement plan designations
- Will codicils
- Real Estate (without mortgages or liens)
- Tangible personal property: stamps/coins/etc.
- Life insurance policies or proceeds
- Oil and gas royalties
The Arizona Cattle Industry Research and Education Foundation is a qualified nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. Donations to the Foundation are charitable contributions and deductible from taxable income. Make contributions payable to: ACIF 1401 North 24th Street, Suite 4 Phoenix, AZ 85008.